Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"...as to the Lord."

Some of you may realize that the title of this post is actually a portion of a passage from the book of Ephesians. (New Testament, Bible) The text in full reads something along these lines.

Wives and Husbands
22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
NIV, Ephesians 5: 22-23

While driving home on Sunday I was muttering about having to be home at a certain hour. Not only was I muttering and complaining but then I went on to say that if Dear was asleep he wouldn't even know if I had submitted to his request. That's when I caught a glimpse of my daughter from the corner of my eye. She was just looking at me as if she couldn't believe what I had said.

You see MMH has herself been dealing with submission issues and I just couldn't figure it out till I saw her face. She was learning it from me, or rather she was learning how NOT to submit. Now, I will say that Lord uses everything for his glory and I had an opportunity to show some repentance and to ask both the girls and my Lord for forgiveness, but it was quite humbling. I then went on to explain what really constitutes true submission.

You see, submitting is so easy when we agree. But is it really submitting then? Not really, it's just doing what we wanted to do anyway. Submission comes when we are asked to do something we'd rather not do, or at least not right at that moment. I tell the girls to obey cheerfully and promptly. And, although I was prompt on Sunday I was not cheerful. So, I am learning that the Lord is not only sanctifying my soul in this process, but He uses these very lessons to teach my daughters. The question is, am I teaching them to submit as to the Lord?" Please pray for us as we continue to learn to fully submit.

Shalom,
Kim

2 comments:

  1. There was a day where a lightbulb went off for me - I had been teaching Isaiah to "do all things without grumbling or disputing" and all the while whining about the dishes, housework, cooking, etc. Thinking that the verse about being saved through child-bearing applies here!
    - Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is those very moments when I hear myself as the Lord must hear me and just feel ashamed. But, then I am so grateful I can approach the throne and ask for forgiveness and depend upon him to turn me from my sins. Motherhood is, indeed, a gift to us as God works daily to sanctify us.
    Shalom,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by for a visit. I look forward to reading your ruminations. (I like playing with words!)
Blessings, Kim