Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"And in your brotherly kindness, love"

As any of you women know your house is "YOUR" domain. NOT!

Your house is a home to your family, a refuge for your husband where he may look forward to the end of the day, refresh himself from the world's drudge and be well loved. It is a place where your children may learn not the world's ways, but the ways of Christ in regards to loving one another.

In regards to this last statement I recall one young man saying to me about his family and brothers, "I'm his brother and I 'get' to beat him up all I want. But just let anyone outside of this family try that on my brother and I'll back him up 100%!"

On the one hand that is incredibly funny. And, to be honest, that is just how that brother was. He was quick to pick on his brother (any of them), but he would not let anyone outside of the family harm a hair on his brother's head. But, how much better if we also learn to love one another? I realize that as a "not male" person... i.e. a woman I don't always understand the importance of all things male... (beating up your brothers?) but I'm trying to learn so as to support my (almost grown) sons and my husband in a way which attests to their manhood and does not try to feminize them. That would be dreadful.

In the meantime I also have daughters and I need to help them to learn to work together as well. If any of you have daughters you know that although things may rarely get physical there are often verbal battles being fought... and not always openly. I need to learn to share "my" domain graciously and to set an example. I also need to learn to have an eagle eye and to recall that daughters and sons require some different parenting tools.

This year both girls are taking Latin. At first they begged to take it. Then they begged not to take it. But I am determined they will finish the year. Part of the plan was to have them work TOGETHER... they work on flash cards, conjugations, declensions (and what ARE those anyway?!) and all the other icky fun stuff which the study of Latin entails. (Did I mention I have NO CLUE HOW LATIN WORKS? NONE? Whenever I have tried to help, no matter how hard I try it comes out as Spanish about 90% of the time!) So, in order to receive help and practice they must learn how to work together.

Well, yesterday as we continued our discussion as to what MMH would take for a language in high school (EEK! THAT'S NEXT YEAR!) WeeOne said... "OH, then I don't have to take Latin anymore because you (me, the "mothernator") can't help me and she won't be taking it. Much to my surprise, and pleasure, MMH said, "Of course I'll still help you. Just because I'm not taking that class doesn't mean I won't be willing to help you."

Ahhh... such a sweet sound. One child willing to help another. Without being asked. Perhaps the plan is working. Not to mention that WeeOne's Latin won't begin to sound more Spanish than not. And, did I mention Senior Son coming over a few days ago and asking to help with the chores? Yes he did. He vacuumed all the dead lady bugs from our light fixtures in the basement. Seriously... for those who live in this area you know what a big job that can be. And yes, I should have done it in November, but they were still moving! Not to mention the fact that I would have missed this moment with my son. (And yes, this was a manly chore... it takes a TALL person to reach the light fixture, a brave person to open that thing up where bugs were/are living, and a strong and coordinated person to hold the vacuum in the air in one hand while maneuvering the hose with the other!)

I am truly enjoying watching my boys become men. I am also enjoying watching the girls practice the skills that I pray they need some day if the Lord calls them to be wives and mothers. I do feel very blessed and fortunate to see them learning to work (and learn) together.

Shalom, Kim

5Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
6and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
7and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
8For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
10Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
11for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.
2 Peter 1: 5-11

1 comment:

So glad you stopped by for a visit. I look forward to reading your ruminations. (I like playing with words!)
Blessings, Kim