Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Leaning on the everlasting arms...

Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
Elisha A. Hoffman, pub.1887ref. by Anthony J. Showalter, pub.1887

What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Refrain:
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms?
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.



Dear recently commented that I sing and hum a lot. A LOT to be truthful. I hadn't even realized it till he mentioned it. When I was a youngster and was visiting my gram I always knew what kind of day it was and where to find her by the humming issuing forth. Sometimes it was tuneless "nothings" and other times it was the chorus of a hymn or a song from the 20s and 30s. (Grandpa didn't hum.... he held me in his lap and belted out those babies! But, that's another post.)

SO, I started listening for myself and then to myself. When and what was I humming? Turns out I'm just like Gram in that arena. Some days when I'm content it's just a melody of medley's, other times when I'm really praising God or really struggling you'll hear snatches of hymns, or sometimes the same hymn over and over as I beseech God to help me through a tough time.

Whatever the case I am so thankful that I picked up Gram's habit and that I find myself leaning on the everlasting arms no matter if anyone else can make out the tune or not. God knows my heart and I pray he helps me to seek Him out daily.

Blessings, Kim


27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.

Deuteronomy 33:27

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by for a visit. I look forward to reading your ruminations. (I like playing with words!)
Blessings, Kim