Tuesday, September 7, 2010

To eat or not to eat...

that is the question of the day here.

Okay, so you all know I could stand to lose a few  many pounds. And many of you also know I've recently been diagnosed with a number of ailments all conspiring to make me tired. What you may or may not know is that in addition to this I have not been able to eat seeds, nuts or legumes for years now. No idea why. At least until recently.

While going through my myriad of doctor tests the word "celiac" kept coming up. I kept saying, "No, I eat bread. ALL THE TIME." Then someone else who is very similar to me in health issues and temperament shared that recently he had discovered he had celiac's disease. His wife shared many of the things they had been learning and I got curious. Enter the Internet search.

Lo and behold I find that frequently Celiac's Disease is  misdiagnosed as Chronic Fatigue with an accompanying anemia of undisclosed origins. I also find that it can cause problems with digesting foods, weight problems, fatigue and anemia. Hmmm.
Now you also probably know I'm not overly fond of having to see the doctor. And, it's not just the embarrassment of having ailments, it's also the idea of paying for even one more test. So, as of today I'm beginning a gluten free diet. I could use your prayers. I am SERIOUSLY addicted to wheat... bread, muffins, pretzels, pasta, YUM!


(a happy clam!)
Well, this morning after a trip to the physical therapist for MMH we made a trip to one of our local specialty stores and I picked up gluten free pancake mix and a gluten free brownie mix. I just made the first pancakes and they are seriously good! Not even joking. I added a few chocolate chips to the batter as I really don't like syrup and butter on pancakes and I'm happy as a clam. I also found that the same mix makes muffins, so I think I'll be fine for breakfasts.


But bread??? Are you kidding? I thought it couldn't get much worse when I had to give up berries, unless of course I also had to give up chocolate. But, bread? I need prayers you all. I LOVE BREAD!

The other thing I learned that gives me some hope is that eating too much of the gluten carrying foods, like flour, can kill off the villi in your gut. This in turn causes digestive issues that you may not understand.Meaning... there is a modicum of hope that if indeed this is Celiac's disease, and if indeed I can be good about eating right, then maybe, just maybe, I can once again eat berries, and tomatoes, and cucumbers and zucchini and yellow squash in all their seedy tasty goodness. I think I could handle that. Right now I'm just sitting here dreaming of chocolate dipped strawberries. Yep.. I could handle that.

So, if you all know of any good tips, recipes, products, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send them my way.

Blessings, Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by for a visit. I look forward to reading your ruminations. (I like playing with words!)
Blessings, Kim